Sūrat al-Tāriq, No. 86. Revealed in Makkah, 17 verses.
Merits of reciting the Sūra
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam: Whoever recites sūra al-Tāriq in the obligatory prayer will have a rank and status with Allah on the Day of Judgment and will be from the companions of the Prophets in Heaven.
Note: The reward is not just for reciting the sūra but for implementing its teachings in life, as advised by some scholars.
Synopsis of contents
1) An oath and the truth of a protector for every soul (verses 1-4)
2) Creation of the human being (verses 5-7)
3) The Day of Judgement (verses 8-10)
4) Oaths and the truth of the Quran (verses 11-14)
5) Warning for the unbelievers (verses 15-17)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) Every human being has protective angels who record and preserve deeds.
2) The origin of the human being is a lesson in humility and a reminder of the resurrection.
3) Human beings plan, but Allah subahānahu wata‘ālā has His own plan.
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
1) 86:4 – There is a guard over every soul.
2) 86:5 – So let man consider from what he was created.
3) 86:15 & 16 – Indeed they are devising a scheme, and I [too] am devising a plan.
Activities for self-study
1) What are some reminders in this sūra that would make the human being humble?
2) The creation of the human being has been mentioned in different places in the Quran. Check the detailed description in 22:5.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsīr Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]