Sūrat al-Baqarah, no.2. Revealed in Madinah, 286 verses.
Sūrat al-Baqarah, Part 4 (verses 204-286)
General synopsis of contents
- Qualities of believers and non-believers (verses 204-215)
- Fighting in the way of Allah (verses 216-220)
- Marriage and Divorce (verses 221-242)
- Struggle in the way of Allah (verses 243-245)
- The story of Talut (verses 246-253)
- Greatness of Allah, including Ayat al-Kursi (verses 254-257)
- Story of Prophet Ibrahim (a) (verses 258-261)
- Etiquettes of charity (verses 262-274)
- Usury in Islam (verses 275-281)
- Formalizing a contract (verse 282-283)
- Prayers of believers (verse 284-286)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 2:250 – Our Lord, pour patience upon us, make our feet steady, and assist us against the non-believers.
- 2:261 – The parable of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is that of a grain which grows seven ears, in every ear a hundred grains. Allah multiplies for whomever He wishes, and Allah is all-bounteous, all-knowing.
Activities for self-study
- Write down the points about charity mentioned in verses 261-265. Illustrate verses 261 and 265.
- Reflect on verse 286. What are the different things believers ask for?
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English. https://en.wikishia.net/view/Sura_al-Baqara