Sūrat Aale Imran, no.3. Revealed in Madinah, 200 verses.
Sūrat Aale Imran, Part 1 (117-200)
General synopsis of contents
- Stance against disbelievers (verses 117-121)
- About the battle of Uhud (verses 122-129)
- Rules and advice for believers (verses 130-145)
- Strategies and attitude in battle (verses 146-179)
- Being miserly in giving charity (verses 180-182)
- Those who reject the Prophets (verses 183-189)
- Prayers of the people of understanding (verses 190-195)
- Reward for those who are firm in faith (verses 196-200)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 3:139 – Do not weaken or grieve: you shall have the upper hand, should you be faithful.
- 3:147 – Our Lord, forgive us our sins and our excesses in our affairs, make our feet steady, and help us against the faithless lot.
- 3:173 – Those to whom the people said, ‘All the people have gathered against you, so fear them.’ That only increased them in faith, and they said, ‘Allah is sufficient for us, and He is an excellent trustee.
Activities for self-study
Study the following verses;
- Verses 133-136. How many qualities have been described for these believers?
- Verse 159. How does this verse describe the Prophet (s)?
- Verses 169-171. Note the points about those who are martyred in the way of Allah.
- Verses 190-195 – What are the prayers of those who possess understanding? This is an important passage to memorize and recite often.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.