Sūrat al-Nisaa, no.4. Revealed in Madinah, 176 verses.
Sūrat al-Nisaa Part 3 (verses 136-176)
General synopsis of contents
- Disbelievers and hypocrites (verses 136-152)
- The people of the Book (verses 153-162)
- Revelation to Prophets (verses 163-172)
- Reward for believers (verses 173-175)
- Laws of inheritance (verse 176)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 4:139 – Do they seek honour with them? Indeed all honour belongs to Allah.
- 4:170 – O mankind! The Apostle has certainly brought you the truth from your Lord. So have faith! That is better for you.
- 4:174 – O mankind! Certainly, a proof has come to you from your Lord, and We have sent down to you a manifest light.
Activities for self-study
- What does verse 140 tell us about the importance of good company? Outline some steps you can take when the group you are sitting with starts mocking God’s religion.
- List the qualities of the hypocrites described in verses 142-143.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English. https://en.wikishia.net/view/Sura_al-Nisa