Day 21 – Sūrat al-Bayyinah
Sūrat al-Bayyinah, No. 98. Revealed in Madinah, 8 verses
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said: Whoever recites it at night, Allah sends angels who protect his religion and his worldly affairs, and they seek forgiveness and mercy for him. And when he recites it during the day, he will be rewarded as much as what the day sheds light upon and what the night darkens.
Note: According to scholars such a reward is for the one who understands and implements the message of the sūra in daily life.
Synopsis of contents
1) The coming of the Prophet (s) distinguished those who had true faith among the people of the Book, who accepted him as they recognized the signs (verses 1-4)
2) The basic doctrines and principles brought by the Prophets are unchangeable in all Divine religions (verse 5)
3) The status of those who reject faith (verse 6)
4) The status of those who believe and do good deeds (verses 7-8)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) People can reject truly clear truth when it is not in line with their desires.
2) All Divine religions emphasize the principles of worship, of performing prayer and giving charity.
3) When human beings use their free will to reject faith, they become the lowliest of created beings. And when they use it to worship and obey Allah, they become the best of creation.
4) The pleasure of Allah ‘azza wajall is one of the biggest rewards of Heaven.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English.
1) 98:5 – And they were not enjoined anything except that they should serve Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, upright, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, and that is the right religion.
2) 98:7 – Indeed those who have faith and do righteous deeds—it is they who are the best of creatures.
3) 98:8 – Their reward, near their Lord, is the Gardens of Eden, with streams running in them, to remain in them forever. Allah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. That is for those who have the awe of their Lord.
Activity for self-study
The rejection of the Prophet (s) by the people of the Book who recognized the signs in him has been mentioned in other places in the Quran. Check 2:89-90 and 2:101. What could be some reasons behind this rejection?
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; https://www.al-islam.org/
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]