Sūrat al-Nisaa, no.4. Revealed in Madinah, 176 verses.
Sūrat al-Nisaa is the second longest Sūra of the Quran, after al-Baqarah. It has many verses about the rights and rulings for women and thus has been named Nisaa.
Merits of reciting the Sūra
The Prophet (s) has said; One recites Sura al-Nisaa, it would be as if he gave charity as much as the heritages of all believers, and he will be given the reward equivalent to that of someone who freed a slave and will be pure from polytheism, and in God’s providence, he will be one of those who are forgiven by God.
Note: All these great rewards are for those who God consciously abide by the rules and message of the Sūra.
Sūrat al-Nisaa Part 1 (verses 1-56)
General synopsis of contents
- Rights of others. (verses 1-10)
- Laws of inheritance (verses 11-14)
- Laws regarding marriage, women and other issues (verses 15-36)
- Hypocrisy in giving charity (verses 37-42)
- Intoxication at the time of prayer and rule of tayammum (verse 43)
- Enemies of the Muslim society (verses 44-56)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 4:1 – O mankind! Be wary of your Lord who created you from a single soul, and created its mate from it, and from the two of them scattered numerous men and women.
- 4:17 – [Acceptance of] repentance by Allah is only for those who commit evil out of ignorance and then repent promptly. It is such whose repentance Allah will accept, and Allah is all-knowing, all-wise.
- 4:28 – Allah desires to lighten your burden, for man was created weak
Activities for self-study
For some understandings of the verses of this Sūra check; https://academyofislam.com/resources-/sura-4-al-nisa-176-verses
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.