Sūrat al-Inshirah, No. 94. Revealed in Makkah, 8 verses. This sūra was revealed after Sūrat al-Duhā and talks about the spiritual blessings bestowed upon the Prophet (s). It is a sūra of hope and encouragement. The chapter is also known as Sūrat al-Sharh.
As mentioned earlier, Sūrat al-Inshirah and Sūrat al-Duhā are believed to be one sūra, and thus would have to be recited together in salāt after Sūrat al-Fātiha.
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said: Whoever recites this sūra will be like the person who met Muhammad (s) sad and relieved him from his grief.
According to scholars this reward is for the one who follows the message of the sūra.
Synopsis of contents
1) The blessings given to the Prophet (s) (verses 1-4)
2) A reassurance that ease accompanies difficulties (verses 5-6)
3) Turning to Allah (verses 6-8)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) Allah ‘azza wajall relieves difficulties.
2) There is ease in, and after, difficulties.
3) Gratitude for removal of difficulties makes the believer turn and becomes closer to Allah.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English.
1) 94:1-2 – Have We not expanded for you your chest, and relieved you of your burden?
2) 94:5 – Indeed ease accompanies hardship
Activity for self-study
Allah eases difficulties for human beings in many ways. There are blessings that make the difficulties a little easier to bear, and blessings that result from the experience of difficulties. List three difficulties that you have experienced, the blessings that made them tolerable, and the blessings that were a result of those difficulties.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsīr Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org