Day 15 – Sūrat al-Layl
Sūrat al-Layl, No. 92. Revealed in Makkah, 21 verses.
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said: Whoever recites this sūra, Allah will grant him until he is well pleased, and He will save him from difficulties and ease the path of life for him.
Note: The rewards outlined in Hadith for recitation of sūras would be received in full by those who act on the messages in the sūras.
Synopsis of contents
1) Oaths on the truth of the message to follow (verses 1-3)
2) Two groups of people; those who spend in the way of Allah and those who are miserly (verses 4-11)
3) Guidance and all control belong to Allah ‘azza wajall (verses 12-13)
4) The fate of those who reject Allah subhānahu wata‘ālā (verses 14-16)
5) The intentions and reward of the pious (verses 17-21)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) People have different goals in life and their actions in life depend on their goals.
2) Allah eases the path of obedience for those who strive for it. While those who reject Allah will find the path of disobedience easy for them.
3) Guidance comes from Allah for those who are sincere and struggle for it.
4) The truly pious person seeks purification of the soul and the pleasure of the Almighty.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English
1) 92:4 – Your efforts are indeed diverse.
2) 92:12 – Indeed guidance rests with Us.
3) 92:19-20 – And does not expect any reward from anyone, but seeks only the pleasure of their Lord, the Most Exalted.
Activities for self-study
1) The cause of revelation of this sūra is an interesting story of the owner of a palm tree and his behaviour with a poor family. Read the story at https://www.al-islam.org/
2) Seeking Allah’s pleasure results in the human being becoming well pleased himself. Many Quranic verses talk about this mutual relationship. Check 58:22, 89:28, 98:8.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsīr Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]