Sūrat al-Anfal, No.8. Revealed in Madinah, 75 verses.
Part 2, Verses 30–60.
General synopsis of contents
- Fighting the disbelievers (verses 30-40)
- The battle of Badr (verses 41-49)
- Fate of those who reject faith (verses 50-55)
- Rules of war (verses 56-60)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 8:45- O you who believe! when you meet a party (against you), then be firm, and remember Allah much, that you may be successful.
- 8:46 – And obey Allah and His Apostle, and do not dispute, or you will lose heart and your power will be gone. And be patient; Indeed, Allah is with the patient.
- 8:59 Let the disbelievers not suppose that they have outmanoeuvred [Allah]. Indeed, they cannot frustrate [His power].
Activities for self-study
- Verse 41 talks about the obligation of Khums. For an explanation of the ruling of khums in this verse check: https://www.al-islam.org/khums-islamic-tax-sayyid-muhammad-rizvi/khums-quran-history
- Reflect on verse 53. What is required for blessings to be continuous? Read https://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-6/section-7-enemy-weakened-allah for an explanation of this verse.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; https://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-20/surah-shams-chapter-91; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.