ALI 236: Du’a Makarim al-Akhlaq
Du‘a Makarim al-Akhlaq: A discovery of the Fragility of the human state and an Awareness of the Self
This Du‘a is among the most powerful moral-ethical exhortations found in the corpus of the Twelver Shi’i devotional repertoire. The class will explore the spiritual and physiological vocabulary employed in the supplication. We will also explore the journey of the self and the purpose of life and death in light of this lofty supplication. What sort of moral-ethical worldview and vision of existence is conveyed in this prayer? We will explore this question in addition to many others as we progress through the text of the Du‘a.
A complete Arabic-English translation will be provided for the students to follow along in addition to some short readings which are crucial in preparing for the seminars.
- Instructor: Sh Vinay Khetia
- Eligibility: All Muslims ages 15 and over
- Venue: Seminar Room (B045) and Jaffari Community Center (9000 Bathurst Street, Thornhill, ON)
- Schedule: 4 Tuesday evenings, one hour before Maghribayn prayers, from June 18 – July 9, 2013. Please note, if there is a majlis or mawlud at JCC on any of these Tuesdays then the class will be scheduled on following day, i.e. Wednesday.
- Support: There are no fees, but donations to support Academy activities are welcome. Tax Receipt will be issued for donations received.
- Slides: COURSE HANDOUT (PDF)