Familiarization with Quranic Sūras
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 3
Sūrat al-Zukhruf– Part 1 (verses 1-40)
Sūra al-Zukhruf, No.43, Revealed in Makkah, 89 verses.
It takes its name from the mention of Zukhruf – gold ornaments – in verse 35.
Whoever recites Sūrat al-Zukhruf will be from those who will be told on the day of Judgment, ‘O My servants, there will be no fear on you today nor grief, enter Heaven without any accounting’.
Holy Prophet (s) (From Tafsīr Majma ‘al-Bayān)
Note: Scholars suggest that the reward is achieved by those who recite this with comprehension, reflection and intending to follow the Divine message.
Synopsis of contents
1) Importance of the Quran and Prophet-hood and the behavior of the disbelievers towards him.
2) Signs of Tawhid.
3) Repudiation of polytheism and false beliefs about the angels.
4) Narrations from the stories of past Prophets.
5) Descriptions of the rewards and punishment in the Hereafter.
6) Misguided values that led to unfounded demands from the Prophet (s).
7) Advice and warnings for people to take heed.
1) Those who disbelieve try to justify and excuse their behavior. (verse 20)
2) The pride of the affluent ones makes them reject the message of God. (verse 23)
3) People made demands from the Prophet (s) about the Quran, according to their values. (verse 31)
4) There will be intense regret on the Day of Judgment. (verse 38)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 43:32 – Is it they who dispense the mercy of your Lord?
2) Q 43:32 – and your Lord’s mercy is better than what they amass.
3) Q43:40- Can you, then, make the deaf hear or guide the blind and those who are in manifest error?
Activities for self-study
1) Study verses 9-13. What signs of Allah are mentioned in these verses? What conclusion is derived from observing some of these signs?
2) Illustrate, or visualize, verse 33-35. What is the message in these verses?
3) What happens to those who turn away from the remembrance of Allah? See verses 36-39.
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.), Tafsir Namūneh; Seyyed Hossein Nasr (Ed.), The Study Quran.