Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 21
Sūrat Yusuf, Part 2 (verses 23 – 67)
Sūrat Yūsuf, No.12, Revealed in Makkah, 111 verses.
According to Tafsir-e Namūne the ahādīth that say Sūrat Yūsuf should not be taught to women, perhaps because of the story of Prophet Yūsuf (a) and the wife of the Minister, do not have a reliable chain of narrators. On the contrary there are Hadīth that emphasize teaching this Sūra to families as it has many lessons for family relationships, including on preserving chastity in the face of temptation.
Synopsis of contents
According to ‘Allāmah Tabātabā’ī in Tafsir al-Mīzān, the main theme of Sūrat Yūsuf is how Allah (swt) looks after His sincere servants. If a person has sincere faith in Almighty Allah, He will train him in the best possible way and grant him honor and respect even when apparent causes aim to destroy him. The Sūra shows that clearly in the life of Prophet Yūsuf (a).
1) When a person is sincere, Allah (swt) turns away from him all evil and indecency. (verse 24)
2) To go through difficulties is better than falling into sin. (verse 33)
3) A pure belief in One God only is the foundation of an upright religion. (verse 40)
4) The nafs of the human being inclines towards evil except if Allah has mercy on it. (verse 53)
5) To speak about your good qualities is necessary at certain times. (verse 55)
6) Although believers are rewarded in this world, the reward in the Hereafter will be much better. (verse 57)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 12:38 This is by Allah’s grace upon us and on mankind, but most people do not give thanks.
2) Q 12:40 Judgment belongs only to Allah.
3) Q 12:56 We send down Our mercy on whom We please, and We do not waste the reward of those who do good.
4) Q 12:64 Yet Allah is the best of protectors, and He is the most merciful of merciful ones.
Activities for self-study
1) What words of Prophet Yūsuf (a) in verses 23-24 show his God-consciousness?
2) What qualities of Zulaykha are revealed in verses 31-32?
3) Study the speech of Prophet Yūsuf (a) to the two prisoners who ask him to interpret their dreams, verses 37-42. How does he make the most of the opportunity?
4) Read verses 58-67.
a) How does Prophet Yūsuf (a) make sure the brothers return?
b) What is the reaction of Prophet Ya‘qūb (a) to the request of his sons?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.), Tafsir-e Namuneh; WikiShia.net, M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 21 Yusuf -2