Familiarization with Quranic Sūras
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 17
Sūrat al-Nūr – Part 2 (verses 30-64)
Sūrat al-Nūr, No.24, Revealed in Madinah, 64 verses.
1) Both men and women need to abide by rules of modesty. (verses 30-31)
2) Poverty should not be a barrier to get married. (verse 32)
3) Everything in the Heavens and the Earth glorifies Allah. (verse 41)
4) Obedience to Allah and His Messenger is expected of a believer. (verses 52-54)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 24:35 Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth.
2) Q 24:41 Have you not regarded that Allah is glorified by everyone in the heavens and the earth, and the birds spreading their wings. Each knows his prayer and glorification, and Allah knows best what they do.
3) Q 24:51 The response of the believers, when they are invited to Allah and His Messenger that he may judge between them, is only to say: We hear and we obey; and these it is that are the successful.
4) Q 24:55 Allah has promised those of you who have faith and do righteous deeds that He will surely make them successors in the earth,
Activities for self-study
1) Read verse 35. How is the parable described? Write out the points from it. Illustrate the parable.
2) Verses 36-37 describe the homes in which Allah’s light resides. What are the qualities of the people in those homes? How will Allah reward them (verse 38)?
3) Write and illustrate the parables described in verses 39 and 40.
4) What signs of Allah are described in verses 43-35?
5) Write out the promise given by Allah in verses 55. Remind yourself of this verse to prepare for this time, under the leadership of the Imam of our time, Inshallah.
6) The Sūra ends with another injunction on modesty. How many issues of modesty are discussed throughout this Sūra?
Sources: M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to email@example.com
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 17 al-Nur 2