Sūrat al-Takāthur No. 102. Revealed in Makkah, 8 verses.
Merits of reciting the Sūra
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said: Whoever recites it, Allah will not take him to account for the blessings granted to him in the world and he will receive the reward of one who recites a thousand verses.
Note: This reward will be for those who implement the message of the sūra in their lives.
Synopsis of contents
1) Condemnation of those preoccupied with worldly competition (verses 1-2)
2) A warning about the punishment of the hereafter (verses 3-4)
3) Stages of certainty (verses 5-7)
4) Warning about the questioning of blessings (verse 8)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) Human beings get distracted with rivalry and competition in worldly matters.
2) When death comes they will know the frivolity of these distractions.
3) Certainty has stages; knowing with the mind, seeing with the eye, and experiencing with the self.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English.
1) 102:1- Competition in [worldly] increase diverts you.
2) 102:8 – Then you will surely be asked that Day about the blessings.
Activities for self-study
Certainty is to have conviction about belief in Allah and the Hereafter. It is a very high level of spiritual perfection. Read about certainty and its various stages at: https://en.wikishia.net/view/
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; https://www.al-islam.org/
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org