Sūrat al-Tīn, No. 95. Revealed in Makkah, 8 verses.
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said: Whoever recites this sūra will be granted two things; well-being and certainty while he remains in this world, and when he dies, He will give him a reward equal to the reward of fasting of a day multiplied by the number of all those who have recited this sūra.
According to scholars this reward is for the one who implements the message of the sūra in daily life.
Synopsis of contents
1) Oaths on the truth of the message to follow (verses 1-3)
2) The potential for perfection in the human being (verses 4-5)
3) Achieving salvation for the human being (verse 6)
4) The Judgement (verses 7-8)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) Allah ‘azza wajall has created the human being as the best of creation but he can choose to become the worst of creation.
2) Faith and good deeds are the two necessary conditions for achieving perfection.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English.
1) 95:4-5 – We certainly created man in the best of forms; then We relegated him to the lowest of the low.
2) 95:8 – Is not Allah the fairest of all judges?
Activity for self-study
Human beings have the choice of attaining perfection. They can choose to become better than angels or worse than animals. Read about the importance of free will in making this choice at https://www.islamquest.net/en/
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsīr Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]