What are the differences between Tafsir and Tadabbur of the Holy Qur’an? How to do Tadabbur (reflections & pondering) of the Holy Qur’an? Which Tafsir can we use to have an in-depth understanding of Qur’an? What is Tafsir bil ra’y and how do we avoid this? The course will attempt to answer and discuss these aspects by studying select passages from Surah an-Naml (#27). All are encouraged to participate in this interesting course.
- Flyer (PDF)
- Instructor: Hasnayn Kassamali
- Dates: Six sessions, from December 6, 2003 to January 11, 2004 (both dates inclusive). If there is demand, we may have additional classes during December holidays.
- Timings & Venue: Saturday evenings from 5:15 to 7:15 p.m. (Maghribayn salaat in congregation will be held at the Academy before the classes)
- Eligibility: All Muslims ages 14 and over
- Suggested Donations: $30.00 per student.
Some of the themes in the Sûrah planned for the course are:
- Prophet Musa (a) talks to God, ayaat 7-12
- Prophet Sulayman (a) and the ant, ayaat 17-20
- Prophet Sulayman (a) and the Hoopoe (Hudhud), ayaat 20-27
- The Queen of Sheba, ayaat 29-44
- The Signs of God, ayaat 60-66
- Coming of the Day of Judgment, ayaat 83-90
Each session will include;
- Reading and pondering over selected verses
- Tadabbur (pondering) of the verses through questions
- Cross references to other relevant verses from the Holy Qur’an
- Hadith on the topic being discussed
- Commentary of the ayaat covered