Familiarization with Quranic Sūras
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 6
Sūra Muhammad, No.47, Revealed in Madinah, 38 verses.
It takes its name from verse 2 which mentions the name of the Prophet (s).
The Sūra is also known as al-Qitāl. Many of its verses talk about fighting and war because it was revealed during or soon after the battle of Uhud.
Whoever recites Sūra Muhammad, Allah will make him drink from the rivers of Paradise.
Holy Prophet (s)
Scholars say that reflecting on the contents of the Sūra and acting upon it would make the reciter worthy of such reward.
Other Hadith also say that among other benefits, recitation of this Sūra protects faith and keeps away doubts and skepticism.
Synopsis of contents
1) The issue of faith and disbelief and the state of the believers and disbelievers in the world and the Hereafter.
2) War and the issue of prisoners of war.
3) A discussion on the hypocrites.
4) Taking lessons from the people of the past.
5) Generosity and miserliness.
1) The faithful and the faithless live quite different lives in the world and the Hereafter. (verse 12)
2) When people seek guidance sincerely, Allah increases them in guidance and grants them Taqwa. (verse 17)
3) Inner anger and spite is often manifested in speech. (verses 29-30)
4) Obedience to the Messenger is part of obedience to Allah. (verses 32-33)
5) Life of the world is a play and a diversion while true reward lies with Allah. (verse 36)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 47:7 – O you who have faith! If you help Allah, He will help you and make your feet steady.
2) Q 47:14 – Is he who stands on a manifest proof from his Lord like those to whom the evil of their conduct is made to seem decorous and who follow their desires?
3) Q 47:24- Do they not contemplate the Quran, or are there locks on the hearts?
Activities for self-study
1) List or illustrate the descriptions of Paradise and Hell found in verse 15.
2) What is the behaviour of those whose hearts are sealed? See verse 16.
3) How do believers whose faith is not strong react to an order from Allah (swt) that may be difficult? How should they react? See verses 20-21.
4) What are some hope giving verses in this Sūra? See verses 7, 11, 17, and 35, among others.
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.), Tafsir Namūne.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]
PDF document –Sura Familiarization 1441 Day 6 Muhammad