Day 4 – Sūrat al-Takwir
Sūrat al-Takwir, No. 81. Revealed in Makkah, 29 verses. This sūra was revealed in the early years of the Prophet Muhammad’s mission.
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam said: Whoever recites Sūrat al-Takwir Allah will protect him from being humiliated when his book of deeds is opened.
Note – This protection will be for those who act upon the verses they recite. May we be blessed to recite the sūra with understanding, reflection, and implementation.
Synopsis of contents
1) Signs of the day of Judgment (verses 1-14)
2) Oaths on the truthfulness of the Prophet (s) (verses 15-25)
3) An admonishment for the human being (verses 26-29)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) There will be many extraordinary events before the Day of Judgment.
2) The system in nature is in the control of Allah ‘azza wajall and He can change it as and when He wishes.
3) The Prophet (s) has a high status and Allah subhānahu wata‘ālā answers the accusations against him.
4) The human being cannot realize something he wishes unless Allah wishes it for him.
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
1) 81:14 – Then a soul shall know what it has prepared [for itself] 2) 81:26 – So where are you going?
3) 81:29 – You will not wish unless it is wished by Allah, the Lord of all the worlds.
Activity for self-study
1) How do verses 19-25 describe the Prophet (s)? List the qualities mentioned.
2) Verse No. 27 describes the Quran as ‘Dhikr’. This adjective for the Quran is mentioned in many other verses of the Quran. Check some of those verses. (For e.g., 15:9, 21:50, 38:1, 38:49)
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsīr Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]