Sūrat al-Qāri‘ah No. 101. Revealed in Makkah, 11 verses. The name of the sūra, from the first verse, is a name of the Day of Judgment. It signifies the unimaginable change and fear that the Day will bring.
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
Imam al-Bāqir ‘alayhis-salaām has said: Whoever recites al-Qāri‘ah, Allah will keep him safe from believing in Dajjal and from the dreadfulness of Hell, Inshallah.
This safety will be for those who take heed and prepare for the Day of Judgment.
Synopsis of contents
1) Description of the Day of Judgment (verse 1-5)
2) The two groups on the Day of Judgment (verses 6-9).
3) The fire of Hell (verses 10-11)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) Human beings will be confused and scattered on that day. See also 54:7.
2) Nature will undergo a complete transformation on that day.
3) The scales on that day will determine the fate of people. All deeds will be weighed and accounted for.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English.
1) 101:4-5- The day when mankind will be like scattered moths and the mountains like loosened wool.
2) 101:6-7 – As for him, whose deeds weigh heavy in the scales, he will have a pleasing life.
Activities for self-study
1) Many verses talk about the change in the solid structure of the mountains on the Day of Judgment. Check verses: 73:14, 77:10, 81:3. All of these refer to mountains at the end of times. But mountains have also been mentioned in many other contexts. Explore the topic of mountains in the Quran. You could use this link – http://www.pakpeaks.com/2017/
2) What are the scales with which human deeds will be weighed on that day? For an interesting explanation of the weighing scales on the Day of Judgment see https://www.al-islam.org/day-
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; https://www.al-islam.org/
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]