Revealed in Makkah except for verse 163 which was revealed in Madinah according to some commentators, 206 verses.
Sūrat al-A’raf, Part 3 (verses 157-206)
General synopsis of contents
- The Prophet Muhammad (s) (verses 157-159)
- People of Prophet Musa (a) – (verses 160-171)
- Human beings asked to be witnesses over themselves (verses 172-174)
- Guidance and misguidance (verses 175-181)
- The Resurrection (verses 182-188)
- Warning to the disbelievers and other matters (verses 189-206)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 7:178 – He whom Allah guides, he alone is rightly guided; and he whom Allah lets go astray – it is they who are the losers.
- 7:180 – Allah has the most excellent names. So call on Him by His names and shun those who distort them
- 7:196 – My guardian is Allah Who has revealed the Book, and it is He Who protects the righteous.
Activities for self-study
- Verses 200-202 talk about seeking protection from Shaytan. What are the steps a believer takes when becoming afflicted with the whisperings of Shaytan?
- Reflect on verses 204-206. What are the different ways recommended in these verses to increase humility and God consciousness.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English. Nasr, Syed Hossein, et al The Study Quran: A new translation and commentary, 2015. Holy Quran, S.V.Mir Ahmed Ali and Agha Pooya Yazdi.