Day 16 – Sūrat al-Duha
Sūrat al-Duhā, No. 93. Revealed in Makkah, 11 verses. This sūra was revealed after a period in which there had been no revelation and the enemies taunted the Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam about it. The Prophet (s) was anxiously waiting for revelation and these verses soothed his anxiety.
Many narrations say this sūra and the sūra that follows (Sūrat al-Inshirah) are one sūra, and thus would have to be recited together in salāt after Sūrat al-Fātiha.
Merits of reciting the Sūra.
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said: Whoever recites this sūra will be from those whom Allah is pleased with, and it is appropriate that Muhammad (s) will intercede for him, and he will receive ten good deeds for each orphan or needy person.
According to scholars this reward is for those who follow the message of the sūra.
Synopsis of contents
1) Two oaths on the truth of the message to follow (verses 1-2)
2) A reassurance to the Prophet (s) and good news about the future (verses 3-5)
3) A reminder of Allah’s help in the past (verses 6-8)
4) Acts of gratitude (verses 9-11)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) Hope in what is to come is part of faith in Allah ‘azza wajall.
2) The past has always had the guidance and support from Allah subhānahu wata‘ālā.
3) Part of gratitude is to help others and let people know of the blessings given to you.
Select verses for memorization in Arabic and English
1) 93:4-5 – Surely what comes after shall be better for you than that which has gone before. Soon your Lord will give you [that with which] you will be pleased.
2) 93:11- And as for your Lord’s blessing, proclaim it!
Activities for self-study
1) This sūra is very reassuring. List the points it makes to help the believer feel better about what s/he is going through.
2) Announcing the favors of Allah is emphasized in Islam. A hadith of Imam al-Sādiq ‘alayhis-salām says: Announce them all, whatever Allah has bestowed on you, from merits, sustenance, goodness, and guidance (Majma‘ al-Bayān v.10 p. 507). For more thoughts on this verse check https://academyofislam.com/
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsīr Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English Translation.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]