Sūra Naba’, No. 78. Revealed in Makkah, 40 verses.
Makkan Sūras are shorter, very poetic, and focus on the principles of Oneness of Allah and the Day of Resurrection. The language is strong and potent. Sūra Naba’ begins with a question and ends with a powerful verse portraying intense regret on the Day of Judgment.
Merits of reciting the Sūra
The Prophet sallal-lāhu ‘alayhi wa-ālihi wasallam has said about this Sūra:
– whoever recites Sūra Naba’ and memorizes it, his accounting on the Day of Judgment will be like [the time it takes of] one prayer.
– whoever recites Sūra Naba’ Allah ‘azza wajall will make him drink a cool drink on the Day of Judgement.
Note: Scholars emphasize that the rewards for recitation mentioned in hadith are conditional on implementing the messages of the Sūra in life. May Allah bless us to recite the sūra with understanding, reflection and implementation!
Synopsis of contents
– Question about the Day of Judgment (verses 1-5)
– Examples from nature to prove the truth of Resurrection (verses 6-16)
– Signs of the Day of Judgment (verses 17-20)
– The fate of those who rejected belief (verses 21-30)
– The reward for the righteous (verses 31-36)
– About the Day of Judgment (verses 37-40)
Some Lessons from the Sūra
1) The signs of God in nature are also a reminder of the purpose behind creation and the accountability of all human beings.
2) The earth and all that is on it will be transformed on the Day of Judgment.
3) Consequence of deeds await people; it is what they have sent forward for themselves.
4) Complete authority belongs only to Allah subhānahu wata‘ālā. This will be clear on the Day of Judgment.
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
1) 78:17 – Indeed, the Day of Judgement is a (day) appointed.
2) 78:27 – Indeed, they did not expect any accounting.
3) 78:35 &36 – Therein they shall hear neither vain talk nor lies, a reward and a sufficing bounty from your Lord
Activities for self-study
1) List the blessings of Allah mentioned in verses 6-16. How do these affect your life? What connections can you make between these blessings and the Resurrection?
2) Check sermon No. 83 of Nahjul Balagha. Which verses of this Sūra can you connect to the passage on death and resurrection in the sermon?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.