ALI-287: Intro to Quranic Arabic, Level 1
This course is designed for learners who are interested in reading the Qur’an with accuracy and understanding it. All the sūras (chapters) of the last part (Part 30) and three longer sūras will be presented and analyzed; new vocabulary and grammatical structures will be taught and practiced systematically. Carefully designed word-building exercises will be used to facilitate the acquisition and retention of new vocabulary. Interested learners will be encouraged to memorize the short sūras or passages from the longer ones. At the end of the course, the successful learner will have mastered a working vocabulary of around 1500 words, correct pronunciation, and the most commonly used grammatical structures.
- Instructor: Br Mohammadreza Ardehali. He has a Bachelor and Master in Arabic language and literature and a Ph.D. in progress in Qur’anic Hermeneutics. He has worked on the meaning of the Qur’an and its interpretation for many years and is writing his PhD dissertation on the first complete Imami interpretation of the Qur’an in Persian, Rawd al-Jinan wa rawh al-janan by Abu al-Futuh Razi (d. ca 554 AH). He is currently coauthoring a book on Quranic Arabic and teaching Arabic at Ryerson University.
- Schedule: Sep. 27 to Oct. 18, 2014; Saturday mornings from 11:30 to 12: 45 p.m.
- Venue: Jaffari Community Center, 9000 Bathurst Street, Thornhill, ON L4J 8A7. Use gate 3 to enter the building. First 3 sessions MARC library, Last session Room B054.
- Textbook: Younes, Munther. The Routledge introduction to Qurʾānic Arabic. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2013. The text can be ordered from amazon.com or the participants can get their copy from the Instructor (in class) or from Jaffari Tabligh Bookstore at JCC. Cost is $40.
- Donations: There are no fees to register for the course; Tax Receipts will be issued for donations of $20.00 and over to A.L.I.
- Absenteeism: This a course for serious learners. Participants will be expected to attend all sessions regularly and do the readings and exercises required by the Instructor. Absenteeism without a valid reason will be penalized. Please contact [email protected] for details.
- Eligibility: All Muslims who are 15 years and over and can read the Holy Quran with ease.
- Course Outline (PDF)