Understanding the nature of knowledge in general and how it is acquired is one of the most challenging philosophical questions. Wahy (divine revelation) as a particular form of knowledge is also extremely difficult to comprehend. However, believers of all faiths should have a firm grasp of the meaning of the wahy and its working if they want to respond to and resolve philosophical problems that are raised with regard to wahy.
This course is designed to help the students with the Islamic view of wahy and divine revelation. Our primary source of discussion and analysis of the subject is what the Holy Qur’aan says regarding wahy. We will also consider traditions of Ma`sûmeen (s)and works of eminent Muslim scholars on the question of wahy. Some of the main topics of the course are:
- The nature of divine revelation
- The distinction between wahy other forms of knowledge
- Types of wahy
- The end prophecy – Prophet Muhammad (s) being the seal of prophethood
- Kinds of wahy which may continue after the end of prophecy
- Instructor: Dr. S. Mohammad Soleimanpanah
- Dates and Duration: Four sessions, from September 27 – October 18, 2003.
- Timings: Saturday mornings, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (followed by Zuhrayn prayers)
- Venue: Az-Zahraa Islamic Center, 8580 No. 5 Rd, Richmond
- Eligibility: Muslims ages 16 and over
- Recommended Donation: $40.00 per person