- Instructor: Tahera Kassamali
This course was conducted in conjunction with az-Zahra Madrasah as part of their Islamic Summer day camp program. The course was held from July 21 – 31, 2003, from 10.30 a.m. – 12.30p.m, Monday s to Thursdays. A total of 20 students participated. The first week students learned about Astronomy in the Qur’an, including verses on the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars. The second week focused on Nature in the Holy Qur’an, including verses on the Bee and the Spider. Each lesson began with a verse of the Holy Qur’an, discussion on some of the Arabic words used and pondering over the greatness of Allah’s creation. After break students were introduced to scientific details about the topic through books and pictures.
Students worked on various activities during this course. This included:
- making a Book of Qur’anic verses on the topics discussed. The book included illustrations for each verse.
- activity on phases of the moon
- worksheets on the topics
- researching and writing about Space in pairs
- group activity on communicating like bees
- group activity on how bees defend their hives
Students also went on two field trips; to the Aquarium and to CN IMAX to watch a documentary on Bugs. They were given a small booklet on verses and Hadith about some amazing creatures of Allah, and had to fill in some questions as well as draw certain things they saw.
Report submitted by teacher: Sr. Tahera Kassamali