Familiarization with Quranic Sūras
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 9
Sūrat Jinn, No.72, Revealed in Makkah, 28 verses.
19 of the 28 verses in this Sūra talk about the Jinn and their beliefs. When they heard the verses of Quran the Jinn realized the corruption that had crept into their beliefs.
Whoever recites Sūrat Jinn often will never be touched by the evil eye, magic, witchcraft or the evil plots of the Jinn while in this world, and that person will be in the company of [Prophet] Muhammad (s) and will beseech the Almighty by saying; my Lord, I do not want anyone instead of him, and this person will not be pleased with anyone else. Imam al-Sādiq (a)
Of course, this would be for those whose recitation is a beginning towards reflection and action.
1) A discussion on the Jinns and their beliefs.
2) Belief in Tawhid and the Hereafter.
3) Knowledge of the unseen
1) The Jinn were affected by hearing the Quran. (verses 1-2)
2) Some of the Jinn are believers and some are disbelievers. (verse 14)
3) People will realize how weak they are when they see the punishment of Allah. (verse 24).
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 72:22 – Say: Surely no one can protect me against Allah, nor can I find besides Him any place of refuge.
2) Q 72:26-27 – The Knower of the unseen! so He does not reveal His secrets to any, Except to him whom He chooses as a messenger . . .
Activities for self-study
1) Read a brief commentary of this Sūra by S. V. Mir Ahmed Ali and Agha Pooya on quran.al-islam.org
a) What were some wrong beliefs held by the Jinn?
b) What are the groups among the Jinn? See verses 11 and 14.
c) What does verse 19 say about the Prophet (s)?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.), Tafsir Namūne; Mir Ahmed Ali, The Quran: Text, translation and commentary. Suratul Jinn, compiled by a group of scholars under supervision of Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazī, Tr. Saleem Bhimji
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441 Day 9 al-Jinn