Day 26 – Sūrat Yūnus – Part 1 (verses 1 – 33)
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 26
Sūrat Yūnus – Part 1 (verses 1 – 33)
Sūrat Yūnus, No.10, Revealed in Makkah, 109 verses.
Whoever recites Sūrat Yūnus once every two or three months, it will not be feared that he will be from the ignorant ones, and on the Day of Judgment he will be from the close ones [to Allah]. Imam al-Sādiq (a)
Scholars emphasize that such a reward is for the one who recites and implements the teachings of the Sūra in life.
Synopsis of contents
1) Signs of Allah ‘azza wajall. (verses 1-10)
2) Ingratitude of human beings. (verses 11-20)
3) Divine Mercy and Guidance, various warnings. (verses 21-70)
4) Stories of past Prophets ‘alayhimus salām (verses 71-103)
5) The Truth from the Lord. (verses 104-109)
1) Those who do not believe in the Hereafter are content with the pleasures of the world. (verse 7)
2) The Quran was not authored by the Prophet (s) and he could not change it according to the demands of the people. (verse 15)
3) On the Day of Judgment, the false gods will disassociate from those who worshipped them. (verse 28)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 10:10 Their call in it will be, ‘Glory be to You’ and their greeting in it will be, ‘Peace!’ and their concluding call, ‘All praise belongs to Allah, the Lord of all the worlds.’
2) Q 10:17 Who is then more unjust than who forges a lie against Allah or (who) gives the lie to His communications?
3) Q 10:25 And Allah invites to the abode of peace and guides whom He pleases into the right path.
Activities for self-study
1) What signs of Allah are mentioned in verses 3-6?
2) Ponder over verse 12. What does it reveal about human character? How is it manifested in everyday life? Also see verses 21-23.
3) Write out the points of verse 24 and illustrate it. What are the different messages of this verse?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; WikiShia.net, Mir Ahmed Ali, The Quran: Text, translation and commentary, M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 26 Yunus_1