Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 24
Sūrat Hūd– Part 2 (verses 49 -83)
Sūrat Hūd, No.11, Revealed in Makkah, 123 verses.
This Sūra talks about the importance of steadfastness in the face of enemies. Thus, the Prophet (s) is reported to have said; Sūra Hūd has aged me. In another hadith when asked about the signs of aging on his face he said: Sūras Hūd and al-Wāqi‘ah have aged me. Scholars narrate that he attributed this aging in particular to verse 112 of the Sūra; So be steadfast, just as you have been commanded—you and whoever has turned [to Allah] with you—and do not overstep the bounds. Indeed, He watches what you do.
Whoever writes this Sūra and keeps it with himself will have extraordinary strength and will be able to overcome his enemies. Imam al-Sādiq (a)
Tafsīr-e Namūneh mentions that this obviously does not mean just keeping the physical contents of the Sūra with oneself. It refers to keeping its teachings as a program for behaviour in life.
1) Patience is a fruit of God consciousness. (verse 49)
2) The Prophets did not expect anything from people. Their reward was only with Allah. (verses 29, 51)
3) Allah’s mercy and blessings on a family can bring about extraordinary happenings for them. (verses 72-73)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 11:52 Ask forgiveness of your Lord, then turn to Him; He will send on you clouds pouring down abundance of rain and add strength to your strength.
2) Q 11:61 My Lord is indeed near, responsive.
3) Q 11:73 Are you amazed at Allah’s dispensation?
4) Q 11:78 Is there not a right-minded man among you?
Activities for self-study
1) Verses 50-60 tell the story of Prophet Hūd (a). Write out the conversation he has with his people. What does he tell them about Allah in these verses?
2) Read the story of Prophet Ibrāhīm (a) in verses 69-76. How is he described in these verses?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; WikiShia.net, Mir Ahmed Ali, The Quran: Text, translation and commentary, M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 24 Hud_2