Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 23.
Sūrat Hūd– Part 1 (verses 1 – 48)
Sūrat Hūd, No.11, Revealed in Makkah, 123 verses.
This Sūra was revealed during the last years of the Prophet’s time in Makkah, after the deaths of Abū Tālib and Sayyida Khadīja. This was one of the hardest times for the Prophet (s). Thus, many verses of the Sūra seek to console the Prophet (s).
Whoever recites this Sūra will get the reward of those who believed in Prophet Hūd (a) and the Prophets, and those who rejected them. On the Day of Judgment, he will be given the rank of a martyr and will be granted an easy accounting. Holy Prophet (s)
This great reward is for the one who ponders over the teachings of the Sūra and applies its lessons to life.
Synopsis of Contents
1) Call to monotheism. (verses 1-4)
2) The disbelievers and their rejection of the Prophet (s). (verses 5-24)
3) Failure of the enemies in the stories of Prophets Nūh, Hūd, Sālih, Lūt, Shu‘ayb and Mūsā – ‘alayhimus salām (verses 25-110)
4) Advice towards steadfastness, patience, and to stay away from evil. (verses 111-123)
1) The purpose of creation is to excel in good actions and accountability is necessary. (verse 7)
2) Those who desire the glitter of world will get it but that will not help them in the Hereafter. (verses 15-16)
3) Those whose hearts are blind and deaf cannot be compared to those who can see and hear with their inner senses. (verse 24)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 11:23 Indeed those who have faith and do righteous deeds and are humble before their Lord—they shall be the inhabitants of paradise, and they shall remain in it [forever].
2) Q 11:38 If you ridicule us [today], we shall ridicule you [tomorrow] just as you ridicule us [now].
3) Q 11:41 Board it: In the Name of Allah it shall set sail and cast anchor. Indeed, my Lord is all-forgiving, all-merciful.
4) Q 11:47 My Lord! I seek Your protection lest I should ask You something of which I have no knowledge. If You do not forgive me and have mercy upon me I shall be among the losers
Activities for self-study
1) Read verses 8 and 9. How is the human being described in these verses?
2) What are the demands and accusations mentioned in verses 12 and 13? How is the Prophet (s) told to respond?
3) Read the story of Prophet Nūh (a) – verses 25-48.
a) What were the arguments of those who rejected him? How did he answer them?
b) What lessons do we get from the incident with his son? How does the Prophet react to it?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; WikiShia.net, Mir Ahmed Ali, The Quran: Text, translation and commentary, M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to email@example.com
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 23 Hud_1