Sūrat al-Hijr, No.15, Revealed in Makkah, 99 verses.
The name al-Hijr is from the story of the people of Prophet Sālih (a), the people of Thamūd who lived in a land called al-Hijr.
Whoever recites Sūrat al-HIjr will be given a reward ten times greater than the number of Muhājriūn and Ansār. Holy Prophet (s)
Scholars suggest that such a reward can come from understanding and implementing the message of the Sūra in one’s life and we pray to be granted the tawfīq.
Synopsis of contents
1) The Quran and the reaction of the disbelievers to it. (verses 1-15)
2) Signs of Allah (swt) in creation. (verses 16-25)
3) Creation of the human being and story of Iblis. (verses 26-44)
4) Reward for the righteous. (verses 45-50)
5) Stories of past Prophets (a). (verses 51-84)
6) Warnings and Advice. (verses 85-99)
1) Those who reject faith content themselves with fleeting pleasures of the world. (verse 3)
2) Allah ‘azza wajall has revealed the Quran and will protect it. (verse 9)
3) Those who do not want to believe will reject faith, whatever miracles you show to them. (verses 14-15).
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 15:21 And there is not a thing but with Us are the treasures of it, and We do not send it down but in a known measure.
2) Q 15:23 Indeed it is We who give life and bring death and We are the inheritors.
Activities for self-study
1) Read the story of Iblis in verses 28-42. Write out the conversation that takes place. What are the qualities and attitude of Iblis revealed in these verses? What is his strategy to lead others astray as outlined in these verses? Who can be saved from it?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.),Tafsir Namūne; WikiShia, Mir Ahmed Ali, The Quran: Text, translation and commentary. M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to email@example.com
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 18 al-Hijr