Revealed in Makkah except for verse 163 which was revealed in Madinah according to some commentators, 206 verses.
Chronologically, Sūrat al-A’raf is the 39th Sūra to be revealed in Makkah.
Sūrat al-A’raf, Part 2 (verses 59-156)
General synopsis of contents
- Prophet Nuh (a) and his people (verses 59-64)
- Prophet Hud (a) and his people (verses 65-72)
- Prophet Salih (a) and his people (verses 73-79)
- Prophet Lut (a) and his people (verses 80-84)
- Prophet Shu’ayb (a) and his people (verses 85-93)
- Warnings sent to the people of the Prophets (verses 94-102)
- Story of Prophet Musa (a) (verses 103-156)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 7:89 – Our Lord! Judge justly between us and our people, and You are the best of judges
- 7:96- If the people of the towns had been faithful and Godwary, We would have opened to them blessings from the heaven and the earth.
- 7:126 – Our Lord! Pour patience upon us and cause us to die as Muslims.
Activities for self-study
Many stories from the life of Prophet Musa (a) are mentioned in this Sūra. Study the following verses and write out an account of the events.
- Reaction of the magicians when they witness the truth (verses 120-126)
- The request of the people after crossing the sea (verses 138-141)
- The incident of the golden calf (verses 148-153)
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.