Sūrat al-A’raf, No.7. Revealed in Makkah
Revealed in Makkah except for verse 163 which was revealed in Madinah according to some commentators, 206 verses.
It gets its name from the story of the people of A’raf (elevations on the Day of Resurrection) which is mentioned in verse 46.
Merits of Reciting the Sūra
Imam al-Sadiq (a) has said; The one who recites Sūrat al-A’raf once a month will be from those who will have no fear, nor will they grieve. (This is a reference to verse 35 of the Sūra). And one who recites it every Friday will be from those who will enter Heaven without any reckoning.
Note: This great reward will be for those who are able to implement the message of the Sūra in their lives.
Sūrat al-A’raf, Part 1 (verses 1-58)
General synopsis of contents
- The truth of revelation and creation (verses 1-10)
- Prophet Adam (a) and Iblis (verses 11-25)
- Advice and guidance for human beings (verses 26-37)
- Groups of people in the Hereafter; in Hell, Heaven and on Elevations (verses 38-51)
- Creation of Allah (verses 52-58)
Suggested verses for memorization in Arabic and English
- 7:27 – O Children of Adam! Do not let Satan tempt you,
- 7:29- Set your heart [on Him] at every occasion of prayer, and invoke Him, putting your exclusive faith in Him.
- 7:42 – We task no soul except according to its capacity.
Activities for self-study
- Verses 31-32 talk about adornment, especially at the time of prayer. For a discussion of this important issue, see Quran Reflection #572 – https://academyofislam.com/quranic-reflection-no-572-ayat-731-adorn-your-prayers-in-ramadan/
- Write out the conversations that take place between the people in the Hereafter, in verses 43-50.
Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.) Tafsir Namūne; https://www.al-islam.org/enlightening-commentary-light-holy-quran-vol-20/surah-shams-chapter-91; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.