Familiarization with Quranic Sūras
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 5
Sūra Sajdah, No.32, Revealed in Makkah, 30 verses.
The Sūra is also known as Alif-lām-mīm sajdah to differentiate it from Sūrat Hā-mīm sajdah (Sūra No.41). It gets its name from the fact that it has a wājib sajdah in verse 15. It is one of the four sūras that have wājib sajdah. These four sūras are known as al-‘Azā’im and they are Sūras No. 32, 41, 53 & 96.
Whoever recites Sūrat Sajdah every Thursday night, Allah will give him his book in his right hand, he will not have to give account, and will be a friend of Muhammad (s) and his family.
Imam Ja’far al-Sādiq (a)
Scholars say that reflecting on the contents of the Sūra and its reminders of the Hereafter would affect the reciter and therefore make him worthy of such reward.
Synopsis of contents
1) The greatness of the Quran and its revelation
2) God’s signs on the earth and in the sky.
3) The creation of humans from earth and the divine soul and giving them the means to learn and know such as the eyes and ears.
4) Death and the Hereafter
5) Good news of the reward for believers and warning of punishment for the wrongdoers.
6) A brief history of the Banū Israel and other past peoples.
1) Allah (swt) created the heavens and the earth and has full authority and control over them. (verse 4)
2) There will be intense regret on the Day of Judgment. (verse 11)
3) The Divine leaders were chosen for their patience and conviction. (verse 24)
4) Many things will become clear on the Day of Judgment. (verse 25)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 32:11 – Say, ‘You will be taken away by the angel of death, who has been charged with you. Then you will be brought back to your Lord.
2) Q 32:18 – Is someone who is faithful like someone who is a transgressor? They are not equal. (This verse appears in Du‘ā Kumayl taught by Amīrul Mu’minīn Ali b. Abī Tālib (a)
3) Q 32:22 – Who is a greater wrongdoer than him who is reminded of his Lord’s signs; then he turns away from them?
Activities for self-study
1) What are the qualities of God described in verses 4-6?
2) What are the different stages of the creation of the human being as described in verses 7-9.
3) What are the signs of God that people should hear and see, as mentioned in verses 26-27?
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.), Tafsir Namūne; WikiShia
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to email@example.com
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441 Day 5 al-Sajdah (1)