Day 22 – Sūrat Yusuf, part 3 (verses 68-111)
Month of Ramadan 1441 – Day 22
Sūrat Yusuf, Part 3 (verses 68 – 111)
Sūrat Yūsuf, No.12, Revealed in Makkah, 111 verses.
If one recites Sūrat Yūsuf and teaches it to his family and his servants, God will ease death for him and will give him the power not to be jealous of any Muslim. Holy Prophet (s)
This reward is for the one who reflects and acts on the teachings of the Sūra.
1) Expression of grief is not contradictory to patience. (verse 84)
2) Taqwā and patience are qualities of those who do good. (verse 90)
3) Asking a Prophet to seek forgiveness for oneself is a practice accepted by the Quran. (verse 97)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 12:76 We raise the degrees of whomsoever We please, and above everyone possessed of knowledge is the All-knowing one.
2) Q 12:86 I only complain of my grief and sorrow to Allah, and I know from Allah what you do not know.
3) Q 12:92 There shall be no reproach on you today. Allah will forgive you, and He is the most merciful of the merciful.
4) Q 12:101 You are my guardian in this world and the Hereafter! Let my death be in submission [to You] and unite me with the Righteous.
Activities for self-study
1) What does verse 80 tell you about the eldest brother?
2) Compare verse 83 and verse 18. What are the similarities and differences?
3) Read Prophet Ya‘qub’s response in verses 84-87. Outline the stages of his grief.
4) Verses 89-93 give the conversation between Prophet Yūsuf and his brothers when he reveals his identity. Reflect on the words exchanged. What does it tell you about them?
5) Verses 100-101 is a beautiful culmination of the story of Prophet Yūsuf (a). How is his faith manifested so clearly in these verses?
Sources: WikiShia.net, M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to [email protected]
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441-Day 22 Yusuf_3