Sūrat al-Nūr – Part 1 (verses 1-29)
Sūrat al-Nūr, No.24, Revealed in Madinah, 64 verses.
The Sūra talks extensively of rules regarding chastity and modesty.
Whoever recites Sūrat al-Nūr is granted the reward ten times more than the number of all male and female believers in the past and in the future. Holy Prophet (s)
The reward will be granted to one who reflects and implements the teachings of the Sūra.
Synopsis of contents
1) Punishment for those who commit adultery. (verse 1-10)
2) Scandal against the wife of the Prophet (s). (verses 11-20)
3) Slandering chaste women. (verse 21-26)
4) Moral behaviour. (verse 27-34)
5) Allah is the Light of the Heavens and the Earth. (verses 35-40)
6) Glorification of Allah (swt). (verses 41-50)
7) Obedience to Allah and His Messenger. (verses 51-57, 62-64)
8) Respect for domestic and personal privacy. (verses 58-61)
1) Those who break the rules of chastity in society must bear the consequences. (verse 2) Do not believe in false talks that are spread about people. (verse 12)
3) Talking about something that you don’t know much about and is potentially false is a serious matter with Allah (swt). (verse 15)
4) Spreading indecency among believers is a punishable sin. (verse 19)
Select verses from the Sūra to know (learn, reflect, memorize)
1) Q 24:16 And why did you not, when you heard it, say: It does not beseem us that we should talk of it; glory be to You! this is a great slander?
2) Q 24:22 Do you not love that Allah should forgive you? Allah is all-forgiving, all-merciful.
Activities for self-study
1) Read verse 21 and analyze the points in it. What is the tactic of Shaytān outlined in this verse? What helps to counter it?
2) How is the Day of Judgment described in verses 23-25?
3) Study verses 27-29. Outline the rules of visiting in these verses.
Sources: Āyatullāh Nāsir Makārim Shirazi (Ed.), Tafsīr-e Namūneh; WikiShia.net; M. H. Shakir, Holy Qur’an Translation; Ali Quli Qarai, The Qur’an With a Phrase-by-Phrase English. Mir Ahmed Ali, The Quran: Text, Translation and Commentary.
Past lessons of Sūra Familiarization available at:
Please send your feedback to email@example.com
PDF document – Sura Familiarization 1441 – Day 16 al-Nur